|Place of Departure||SUBBIANO|
|Place of Arrival||AREZZO|
Lengthg – KM
|Nation of the route||Italy|
|CAI (Diff. Escurs.)||E|
|File (.KMZ) to follow the way
blue line variation for bike
|File PDF||Download File|
|Open Street Map on Outdooractive||Open Map|
The Castle of Subbiano rises form a rock overlooking the Arno and controlled the crossing of the river cashing tolls at the bidge. The castle is mentioned in a document of 1020; it was then a property of the Bishops – counts of Arezzo. The Castle was a complex structure consisting of a central core with gate tower and a circle of buildings leaning onto a wall. Being next to the river, the castle has undergone numerous and repeated damages from floods of the Arno. Between the castle and the church run the stream of Palbena now covered to form a ‘piazza’ cleverly used for cultural events.
Things to see: Santa Maria della Visitazione, built on a rock opposite the castle, represented the religious power as opposed to the military. The church is as ancient as the castle but it was restored in the 17th and 18th centuries, when the pleasant porch and the bell tower were built. Inside there are considerable works of figurative art.
SUBBIANO is a “praedial name”, deriving from a Servius. probably distorted by the Etruscan language into Suvius. He was in all probability a centurion who took part in the conquest of the Arezzo area. From Suvius, Suvianus derived and in the early Middle Ages it became Subbiano. A local folk tradition tells that in Roman times, the locality was under the protection of the god Janus, the double faced god, thus the name Sub Janus. This gave the idea of representing this god on the coat of arms of the Municipality.
CAPOLONA derives from a monastery called Campum Leonis, the town was originally a castle, and chief town of a Municipality and a baptismal Church (pieve) on the right bank of the Arno, not far from Arezzo. It lies at the foothill of the massif called Pratomagno, close to Subbiano. The origins of this settlement is unclear, but it appears in written records towards the end of the 10th century, when an Abbey was erected and dedicated to S. Gennaro ad Campum Leonis, in 972, by Countess Giuditta, wife of Hugh, Marquis of Tuscany. The abbey came under the protection of Emperor Otto II of Saxony with a deed of 13th December 997, then it came under Konrad II in 1026, and Henry III in 1047, and invalidated by other kings and popes. The Castle of Campoleone (from Campum Leonis) is recorded in 1199. In the neighboring countryside lies the Baptismal Church of St Mary Magdalen of Sietina, a small Romanesque church with three naves recorded from the 11th century, richly decorated with frescoes of the Arezzo school, dated to 1370 and the early 1400. The painting above the arch on the right of the presbytery are dated 1370. A seated Madonna with Baby and two kneeling female saints. Another Madonna seated in a throne, and an Annunciation and Martiry of St Agatha are dated to the end of the 15th century.
With this stage we leave the Municipality of Subbiano to enter the next: Capolona. We start from Piazza Castello directed to the bridge across the Arno, then Via Della Stazione, which we leave to turn left into Via Del Pallaio. We underpass State highway71 (always bearing in mind that this replaced our Via Romea in the course of the 19th century), carrying on but remaining close to the Arno on our left for 1 Km to the bridge on the river which we shall leave on our left to Via Veneto and again crossing SH 71 after 1 more Km. after surpassing the crossroad with the Provincial highway of Lo Spicchio, distancing from the river, after San Martino sull’Arno, we take the road that leads us to the Water purification plant, a road which after the last house becomes a footpath and, passed the ford, it returns nearer the river. After about 4 Km we come to the footbridge over the Arno; the Church of Sietina will be now just over 500 m away on the right. Crossed the Arno and having crossed the urban areas of Giovi and Ponte alla Chiassa, we cross the railway and take the dismissed section of the SH71 on the right, we follow it for 500 m and turn left, underpass the new SH71, turn right; go on for 300 m and turn left. We are now back in the open countryside and it is essential to follow the path on the map, on country lanes to avoid tarmac and traffic. We advance for 700 m, turning right and go on for a further 700 m; turn right and go on for a further 1 Km, turn left and go on for another 700 m, turn right and after 800 m we shall be in the hilltop village of Puglia, once the seat of the Otonian Emperors of Saxony. Note the bells of the church tower, are the oldest in Italy. Still in an attempt to avoid traffic, increasingly more intense as we approach Arezzo, we carry on along the official route We leave Puglia directed to Arezzo and 700 m ahead we are on the road to Cio, were turning left we cross the Provincial highway to Catona and continue for 200m, then we turn to right and contiue for 500m, then go to left; we continue for 400m for to go to right ed go for 1km; we arrive in Via Fontebranda which we cross and continue for 800m; we go to right and arrive on Via Catona which we follow to left for 600m and arrive in Via Guido Tarlati which we cros and continuein via Pietramala; 100m and we go on the large parking which we cross and pass the gate of the medieval walls of Arezzo and climb along Via del Bastione, then Via Sasso Verde (Sachsen Gard), turning left and in 100 m we will have reached the Cathedral of Arezzo.
For the description of the route see the Guide of Simone Frignani end Download File PDF
How to arrive
|From airport (BOLOGNA, FIRENZE, PISA, PERUGIA) to Arezzo FS Railway Station||BUS/LOCAL TRAIN – bus route (www.oraribus.com/orari.php?autobus=Arezzo/Subbiano); Arezzo FS Railway Station – Subbiano FS Railway Station: TFT trains (www.trasportoferroviariotoscano.it/index.php/Viaggia-con-noi/Orari-dei-treni)|
Where to eat
|TYPICAL DISHES = Cortonaweb||TYPICAL DISHES = Tuscany|
|A&O||Via P.Barbiera – 52010 SUBBIANO||0575-420363|
|Dico||Via Aldo Moro, 1 – 52010 CAPOLONA|
|D-Piu||Via Siro Fantoni,62 – 52010 SUBBIANO||0575-421170|
|Antica Osteria L’Agania||via Mazzini,10 – 52100 AREZZO||0575 295381 / 0575 300205||www.agania.com|
|Hotel L’Aretino||via Madonna del Prato 83, 52100 AREZZOemail@example.com|
|Rifugio del Viandante||via S.Domenico, 58 – 52100 AREZZO||0575 27874 – 339 firstname.lastname@example.org||www.ilrifugiodelviandante.it|
Where to sleep
|CAI AREZZO||Via Fabio Filzi 28/A – 52100 AREZZO||0575 email@example.com||www.caiarezzo.it|
|Ufficio Turismo Arezzo||Via Montetini||0575 firstname.lastname@example.org||www.arezzoturismo.it/php/index.php?rif=1&b=1&sel=main1|
|Ufficio Turistico Arezzo Valley||Emiciclo Giovanni Paolo II – 52100 AREZZOemail@example.com||www.arezzoturismo.it|
|Curiosando nel Mondo – Maioli Laura Tour Operator||52011 BIBBIENA ARfirstname.lastname@example.org||www.curiosando.eu|
|VALCERFONEOUTDOOR transport of backpacks and bikes, rent bikes)||52035 MONTERCHI ARemail@example.com|